Proverbs 22:9

"Whoever has a bountiful eye will be blessed, for he shares his bread with the poor." Proverbs 22:9

Friday, June 17, 2011

Reflecting Back

"As water reflects the face, so one’s life reflects the heart."
Proverbs 27:19 
I was thinking yesterday about reflections and our appearances as Christians. What do we reflect? Ourselves? The world? Our sins? or Christ?

Instantly thinking of reflections I thought about one of my favorite artists, Norman Rockwell.
"Self-Portrait"

I know this seems random but I think of this. What do we see in the mirror? And is what we see acurate to what other people see?

So, I leave tomorrow to go to Panama and since this is always a concern of mine I think on this often, especially now when I know I am going to a place where everyone is watching what I am doing and why I am doing it, not just because I am a Christian but also because I am an outsider (Needtobreathe shout out!). I don't belong and I am really different and funny sounding. I don't speak the language well and I hardly understand the dialec. So its seems like a lose-lose situation but in reality all of that does not matter. Because, they are watching me and I hope because I consciously make an effort to reflect Christ that they see that, regardless of me being a gringo and regardless of the language barrier. God is so much more than that.

So think on this, in a spiritual sense, if you had to paint a self-portrait what would it reflect? and if stranger had to paint you would it look the same? And does either of them reflect Christ? Think hard about this because in a melting pot world your only testimony may be what you reflect.

No comments:

Post a Comment